Monday, February 1, 2010

My "Portfolio" In Progress!

Hi All! I'm very excited to share some things with you. I've been so busy around here lately with different projects, including my Etsy store, which I've added alot of new merchandise to, as well as launching my new design business. It started off slow, but has been picking up lately with interest from many different prospective "clients".

I got my foot in the door by redesigning my In-Laws home post-fire. It's been almost a whole year since Pat and Dick were displaced by a fire that started in their kitchen. After months of living in a hotel, they finally moved back into their home in October and I've been hard at work finding everything they need to furnish their "new" home. Moving back in, they had absolutely nothing, not even a place to sit, or eat, or sleep! After covering the necessities, I got to work in their living room. There is still some work to be done, like hanging the window treatments, but the majority is done, and I'm happy to say, they love their new home!

We'll start in the Living Room. Pat and Dick are used to having "beige" everything! So I added lots of color wherever I could to brighten the space.
All of the furniture was purchased either on Craig's List or from yardsales/moving sales.


The sofa and loveseat were a Craig's List find - Clayton Marcus - for only $350! The end tables and many of the accessories were from Home Goods.

The secretary above we found at a flea market for $25. I filled it with lots of books and blue/white transferware that I had in my inventory.
These next pictures are my favorite. All of these things I found at a house sale.

The woman having the sale was a professional stager and was getting rid of some of her stock. I grabbed as much stuff as I could, but ran out of room in my car. I went back for more the next day!
Here is another look!


Now into the Dining Room. I kept it simple in here and still have some work to do. A black shelf that I picked up at Goodwill will go under the middle picture, but it needs a coat of black spray paint first. I also have to add the window treatments.
The table and chairs were a Craig's List find for $250! The gorgeous marble and wrought iron console table was a Craig's List steal for $150. All accessories were from Home Goods.


The last room I want to show you is the Sun Porch. I only spent one day on this room so far, but I like how it's shaping up.

I found the china cab at the Goodwill for $50 and filled it with whatever I could find in their house. I will replace it with some more blue/white.


The upholstered parsons chairs were a Home Goods find.

There is still alot more accessorizing to be done, pillows, lamps, throws, etc. I envision an area rug in a neutral shade with a red border. I'm also scouring Craig's List for the perfect coffee table. This room is actually huge! The whole left side is yet to be done.

It's been alot of fun working on this house. As the rest of it gets done I will share more pictures with you.

Onto the next project!
This home belongs to a friend of my parents. They just added two room onto the back of their home. I was taken on to accessorize the back room, specifically the built-in bookcases. The homeowners have traveled all over the world, so the goal was to make this their "travel" room. I was asked to use mostly things they had acquired in their travels and then I added some things I found at Home Goods.


The builder also happens to be the homeowner's son and he specializes in woodwork. The built-in cabinetry is gorgeous! I had so much fun accessorizing them.





I also did the mantle. I kept this simple with the emphasis being on the beautiful wall sculpture from Greece.


Lastly, I did a wallscape using lots of black frames and adding sconces in an animal print that I found at Ross. The picture in the middle was the homeowner's and she really wanted me to incorporate it in the wallscape. I arranged this on the floor and when it looked right I hung everything on the wall. Photos of their travels will fill the frames.





The end result was exactly what the homeowner wanted. They will be traveling to Israel next and when they return I will start working on their Family Room. I will share those pictures with you too!

That's it for now. Thanks for checking in and have a great week!

14 comments:

Stacey said...

Great job Kim!! I can't believe the wonderful furniture pieces you've found. Love that picture wall too. I know they are all so happy for your assistance.

southerninspiration said...

Look at you , Miss Kim!!! Whoa! You did a fantastic job! and I am sure you made several people very happy in the process! I'm so proud of you!

Suzanne

Pat@Back Porch Musings said...

It all looks absolutely wonderful!! You did an amazing job!

Unknown said...

Kim, you do fantastic work! You really do. Everything looks so classy and well put together. And the deals you scored for your inlaws are incredible! That dining room table and chairs is beautiful!

Nancy

Chari at Happy To Design said...

Hi Kim...

Ohhh my gosh...you did such a fabulous job with both of these projects, my friend...I'm sooo impressed! You've been a busy little bee! Wow...what a blessing you must be to your in-laws! I'm so sorry to hear that they had such a tragedy but it looks like you've given them such hope! And...it's so evident that this was a "labor of love" for you! I love everything you did!!! Ohhh...and that sunroom is gorgeous!!! You got so many great deals on all that beautiful furniture and the accessories!!!

Love, love, LOVE the build-ins that you accessorized...they look fabulous! Love the gallery wall too! Girl, you've just outdone yourself with these two projects! You're such a creative and talented lady!!! Thank you so much for sharing your projects with us!!! Ohhh...and I'm soooo happy for you! How exciting to be starting your very own design business! My friend, I'm sending you my very best wishes for continued success in all of your design endeavours!!! Sure hope that you'll share them with us! I love seeing your work!!!

Warmest winter wishes,
Chari @Happy To Design

Melinda said...

Super designing. The rooms look really great.
I like the sunroon especially.

Melinda

Blondie's Journal said...

Wonderful job, Kim!! Your in laws must be VERY happy. I love the pops of burgundy in the living room and I can't believe the deal you got on the dining room set!! Awesome!! You did great!

xoxo
Janie

Anonymous said...

Hi Kim! Oh, everything looks so beautiful! You are really good! I love all of your wonderful finds too!
Be a sweetie,
Shelia ;)

Becca Bertotti said...

Wow, Kim !! Great job and what awesome finds ... it all looks perfect !! I'm sorry for your in-laws "loss," but I'm sure they're thrilled with everything you did !! You're going to be busy, busy once word gets out about you !! Hugs, Becca

Becca Bertotti said...

Had to come back to look around aGAIN and to say thanks for stopping by and leaving such a witty note !! You crack me up ... im"becca"ble ... love it !! Can I coin that phrase? LOL. Hugs, Becca

Wendy said...

Kim, What a wonderful job!! It looks beautiful! Congratulations and best wishes in your new business! you'll do awesome!
P.S.(there is a Home Goods close by?)

Cathy~Mille Fleur said...

Wow! You have done a beautiful job creating warm and wonderful spaces! Love them all!

Good luck with your new venture!

Enjoy!
XOXO
Cathy

Bargain Decorating with Laurie said...

These turned out so great! Love all of the furniture finds! That sunroom looks like it is going to be wonderful. It sounds like so much fun to be doing something that you love and making other people happy in the process! laurie

Brittany said...

Wow!! I love it! A secretary for 25$?!! No WAY! I love how you used the yellow and red - beautiful! I love so many of the details...that awesome mirror, the cute GW hutch, the parsons chairs...it's all perfect!