Friday, February 19, 2010

Real-Life House Tour Party!!!



I'm in day 3 of the stomach flu and in between bites of Saltines and sips of Ginger Ale, I try to blog. I'm linking up with Danielle at Transforming Home for her first ever Real-life House Tour Party. This super party showcases the real homes of real bloggers and is chock full of decorating ideas from real people. Some are designers and some just love design. Either way, you are sure to be inspired.

Welcome to the Domestic Bliss home. Come on in!


What you see when you walk through my front door.

My Wall of Fame! If you look real close at the one picture towards the left, you'll see my favorite picture! My Grandfather and The Babe! Yep. Grandpa was a professional golfer and actually played golf with Babe Ruth.

The view of the foyer from the vantage point of my Dining Room.


To the left of the Foyer is my Living Room.

As you can see, my tastes lean towards the Traditional side. I love old things. Old furniture. Old pictures.



The Living Room is also my "office". And this is where I blog.


Taking these photos in the afternoon wasn't the brightest idea, no pun intended.


To the right of the Foyer is my Formal Dining Room. The color on all of the walls you've seen so far is pale yellow (Baer Paint in Havana Cream). I just think that so many things go well with the color yellow. It's also very bright and cheery, which helps in this area of the home where there is little sun exposure during the day.


The beautiful china in the display part of my china cabinet is Royal Ducal that I purchased at an auction.

The blue and gold colors go nicely in the room.

The china we received as wedding gifts I store in the bottom part. I got tired of taking china out of the cabinet every time I needed to use it, which is more often than you might think. So I decided to make it more accessible.
And my "treasure" - the chandelier I rescued from someone's curb.

Another favorite of mine is this little artichoke table I got at a local thrift store.


Now let's head to the back of the house, where most of the living takes place.

The Rec Room walls are painted a soft brown color (Baer Paint in Harvest Wheat).


Last week I joined a Decorating Dilemma party and this room was my dilemma. I tweaked a few things since then and here's the result.

The concensus was unanimous. Lower the mirror a couple inches. But, I didn't. Only because they are anchored into the wall and I just didn't see the point in lowering it just a few inches. And actually, in person, it actually doesn't look so high. The real difference was moving the end table and replacing it with a plant and trunks. The end table was too small to the scale of the sofa and looked awkward in the space. I couldn't put a larger one there because of the basement door being so close. I think this looks better.
Here it is with the table.

And how it looks now.


And into my kitchen.

Mr. MDB and I redid our kitchen a couple years ago with only a $7000 budget. We were able to put in hardwood floors, granite counters and a tumbled marble backsplash. The walls are a pretty olive color. It's Ralph Lauren Lincolnshire Olive.

We also switched out the window treatments and now I have white faux wood blinds which I love. A new ceiling fan and that was that. No stainless steel for this real family. Maybe somewhere down the road. I'd love to hear your thoughts on SS. Does it show alot of fingerprints?
Moving on. More shots of the kitchen.


One of my all-time favorite Craig's List finds, my baker's hutch.


Here she is all decorated for Christmas.

Looking into the Dining Room.


A peek into the Mudroom off of the kitchen.


Let's head upstairs into the master bedroom.

It's quite a departure from the rest of the house - a little coastal cottage/shabby chic/romantic.



Mr. MDB and I designed the beadboard headboard ourselves. It's attached to the wall.

Another view.

This room is so relaxing to me.



And here is a peek into our Sitting Room.



The rest of the bedrooms upstairs are taken by our two daughters, MessyThing1 and MessyThing2. So I will spare you any pix of their rooms. The fourth is the playroom, one day to be my craft room.

For the finale I will show you the funky basement remodel. We just recently finished refinishing this portion of the home. It was actually finished several years ago, but the a flood led to having to refinish most of it. We love to hang out down here.
The bottom of the stairs.


Here, we used a granny smith apple green color on the walls. It's called Asparagus, also from Baer.


The rug I'm not so crazy about, but I'm gonna keep it until I find the one I want. I was gonna go zebra, but do you think that would be too much with the pillows?


Mr. MDB's big screen. Does anybody still go to the theater anymore???

The back portion of the room is Mr. MDB's office as well as the kid's hangout. Oh, and sometimes we workout down here too. Ha!




Looking in from the back room.

Some close-ups.




And lastly, my beautiful custom frame from the lovely Kristen of Kristen's Creations.


You could win your own frame or one of Kristen's other amazing creations by clicking here and entering my Blogaversary Giveaway. If you haven't already entered you have until next Friday, February 26th, 9:00p.m. Eastern time.

Thanks for visiting the Bliss house. Now go to Danielle's for other amazing tours.

40 comments:

Stacey said...

Kim, your house is gorgeous! I love that it's traditional but not cluttery. You and I have similar taste. :)

Turley Times said...

AHHHHH, my husband and I came THIS close to having our new basement painted Lincolnshire Olive by RL! He was worried it would be too dark and he wouldn't like and he told me if he didn't like it I would have to repaint it myself and I didn't want to take that risk! I LOVE it in your kitchen. Thanks for the tour!

Hannah

Debbiedoos said...

Kim your home is spectacular!~ I love your old things mixed with your new things....you see I like that too:) Wish we had a basement:( Yes I think a Zebra rug would look fantastic!

Blondie's Journal said...

Your home is lovely, Kim. I really mean that. You have great taste and a romantic sense of elegance. I can't believe you have kids!! I love the pale yellow walls in your living room. I am looking for something like that for my guest rooms and they each have very small windows, so it will work great.

I love everything. I hope you feel better soon! ;-)

xoxo
Jane

Jeanette said...

Your home is lovely.

Sarah {The Student Knitter} said...

You have such a beautiful home! Thank you so much for taking us through. I totally agree about the formal living room's end table - I like it much better now! :)

Glenda/MidSouth said...

Your home is so pretty!!! I really like the traditional.
Hope you get to feeling better real soon. Enjoy yo9ur weekend.

Glenda/MidSouth said...

That should be your not yo9ur! Geesh!

Tracy said...

Your house is so pretty. Thanks for sharing it! Hope you are feeling better real soon.
Tracy

Danielle @ Transforming Home said...

What a beautiful home! I love your traditional style that is so welcoming and comfortable.Your dining room is fabulous - WOW!

Thanks so much for linking up!

Danielle

Melissa Miller said...

~WOW! Kim your home is gorgeous and really amazing. I just love your formal dining room and this warm red couch is so cool. Actually I just adore it all! So pretty! You have done a fabulous job decorating every single room.

Thank you for showing us around.
I really enjoyed the tour and enlarged every single photo. You gave me a great idea to try for my dining room table display.

Feel better soon! ~Melissa :)

Melinda said...

You have a beautiful home.
The colors a very soothing but cozy too.
Melinda

bj said...

You have a beautiful home, Kim...
I love these whole home tours..love seeing all the different tastes in decorating. So amazing.
Thanks bunches for sharing yours..

I sure hope you are feeling much better. Guess this ole stuff is going around..lots of bloggers down with it.
hugs, bj

Penny from Enjoying The Simple Things said...

Kim your house is just beautiful! I love all of the colors you used and the traditional furniture. I can't beleive you found that chandie on the curb!!!! It is gorgeous.
Hugs,
Penny

Kim @ Savvy Southern Style said...

Kim, so sorry you still don't feel good. Your home is beautiful and you have thought of every detail. Love the pale yellow on the walls of your entry, dining and living rooms. What a nice place to blog. I'm in a nook off the back door to the garage between the kitchen and laundry room. Not a pretty space. Love the headboard y'all made. Looks great! Love your green room with the red and black accents. Thanks for sharing and feel better soon!!

Kim

Tricia said...

What a fun tour of your beautiful home! I especially love your office area and your master bedroom.
Thanks for visiting me this morning and have a wonderful weekend!
T

Tootsie said...

girl....we could be roomies!!! You and I have the same taste! I love your home!!! I am in the process of making over my own home right now...things are in a "state" right now...it seems nothing good can happen unless there is a huge mess first! lol

Tina said...

Hi Kim, I just wanted to say thank you so much for visiting my blog and your lovely comment, I am so thrilled that you stopped by. I am so happy to have found your gorgeous blog and LOVE your home, especially your bedroom (those mirrors on your wall are divine!) and I love your mudroom! I look forward to following you and reading your previous posts:) Have a lovely day ~ Tina x

9405018--Pat said...

Your home is beautiful...thanks for the tour...Pat H

Be Colorful Coastal said...

So much to love here but some of my faves are your foyer and dining room. I loved the chandelier but when I read that you rescued it from a curb I was overwhelmed. Really really like the wall color you chose for the basement. i am thinking of a brighter green for my family room and this could be fun.

Wsprsweetly Of Cottages said...

What a beautiful, big, comfortable home! Just lovely!

No thrifting here yesterday, but who knows about today!

I enjoyed the tour of your home SO much! Thank you for sharing. You did a wonderful job of showing us around!
Love,
Mona

KimMalk said...

You did such a wonderful job for the home tour! I was lame so only linked up a prior living room post...next time. You have so many lovely pieces! I especially love your favorite photo and I really like the secretary with the tassel.

Glenda/MidSouth said...

Thanks for coming by. The bad thing is I have more than one very long lists. Seems like if I mark one thing off, I add 2 more. :-)
Hope you are feeling better today.
Enjoy your week.

{oc cottage} said...

Your home is just fabulous! I adore your sitting room!!!

m ^..^

Frugal Home Designs said...

What a beautiful house! Can you tell me what paint color the green is? My sister-in-law is trying to find a green to go with all her red accents and that looks perfect together.

Kim @ Savvy Southern Style said...

Kim. I hope you are much better and over the worst part. Look forward to more posts from you. Have a great week...Kim

Becca Bertotti said...

Girl, I LOVE your home !! It's gorgeous ... every room is so inviting, tasteful and beautiful. I have a few of the same pieces that you do (the white orchid in your entry way ... used to have the same kitchen table as you, too). The play area is awesome with the games for the kiddos (and big kiddos, too). I love it all and am going back for another look. Hugs, Becca

Gail said...

Kim you have a beautiful home. I love how you have mixed the old with the new.

Hope you're feeling better.

Becky@Beyond The Picket Fence said...

Sorry you are feeling sick--get well soon. Your home is stunning!

Kendra @ Domestic Princess in Training said...

Your home is just beautiful! I’m drooling over your chandler. I think I would just sit and stare at it for hours if it was in my home ;o). I love your bedroom too, so calm and relaxing!

Kendra “Domestic Princess in Training”

Kimberly said...

Your home is lovely. I collect art, and have so much that I am running out of room.

I am your newest follower.

Hope you come by and follow me.

Chari at Happy To Design said...

Hi sweet girl...

Well, my friend...I was just coming by to say hello and stopped here at your home tour! Ohhh my goodness, Girlfriend...I thoroughly enjoyed my tour of your fabulous home...and I DO MEAN FABULOUS!!! Kim, you have such a beautiful home...it's absolutely perfect in every way! I love your style...in fact, I could move right into your fabulous home...not change a thing...and be perfectly happy! And I don't say that lightly...you know, how "we" decorators are! hehe! I love, love, LOVE all of your wall color and room color choices...sooo very pretty!!! Ohhh...and all that gorgeous furniture!!! My friend, you are such an inspiration...showing us how one can decorate so beautifully with thrifty treasure finds! I love that about you and your home!!! I love each and every beautiful room but your dining room and master bedroom are my favorites!!! You've just done a splendid job decorating these rooms! You are such a creative and talented lady, my friend!!! Thank you so much for sharing your fabulous home with us...this was such a treat!!!

Warmest wishes,
Chari @Happy To Design

La Bonne Vie - The House of Brodt said...

Wow! Your home is gorgeous! Definitely very cozy looking and it looks like you put a lot into all of the details that make it your own. Thanks for sharing!

Screaming Meme said...

Your home is beautiful...Not to mention,you are beautiful...:) You have a great blog here! So gald I stumbled upon it! Hi, I'm Meme from Screaming Meme...it is so nice to meet you...Stop in anytime for a visit!

Lisa@Pickles and Cheese said...

So glad you found me today and left a comment so that I in turn could find you! I just love the color of the walls in your dining room. Thanks for posting the name of the color. I need to check that out! Love your home photos and your blog!

Stacy of KSW said...

I love seeing real home tours, and yours did not disappoint :0) Can you tell me more about your headboard? I think it's fantastic and would love to hear all about how you guys did it (and see more pics)!

Thanks

Natalie Meester said...

Your home is amazing and very beautiful. You are a talented person that's for sure!

I am drooling over your master bedroom headboard.

Hugs,

Natalie

Unknown said...

Very nice casa you have there!!

Lisa

Beth's Blog said...

Your house is gorgeous! I love the wal colors.

Kim said...

Visiting from SITS. LOVE your blog! Wow! Your basement room is fab. Am bookmarking your site and will be back later to read some more!