Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Classic Wall Art on the Cheap!

Halfway into our second blizzard in less than a week, I feel like my walls are starting to close in on me. And with not much else to do besides blog and stare at my walls, I thought I'd do a post on my wall decor. I could probably catch up on the laundry, wash the floors and scrub toilets, but this is much more fun and relaxing.

While snapping pictures for this post, I quickly realized that so much of the art on my walls was either given to me or acquired for a song at yard sales/flea markets or Goodwill.

These first few pieces I got at a moving sale in a very beautiful, upscale neighborhood not far from where I live. The woman hosting the sale was a part-time professional stager and was liquidating much of her inventory. I got this gorgeous oil painting for only $25.

Here it is on the right wall of my Dining Room.

And this one is quite large and hangs on a wall in my kitchen that leads to the mudroom. She sold it to me for $5. I love the colors and I think it's quite elegant.

Rounding out this group is a clock that she sold to me for $5 because it was broken. It cost me alot more to have it fixed, but I'm glad I did. It hangs in my family room.

You can see it here next to the entertainment center.


These next set of prints were given to me by my dear friend Stacy. You may remember from my earlier posts that Stacy moved back in December and I was lucky enough to inherit many of her beautiful treasures. But don't worry, she didn't move far at all, just the next town over.
I hung these in the foyer by my front door.

And this one you can see at the top of my stairs. It's just stunning!

This giant antique frame Stacy also gave to me, and I transformed it into a chalkboard and used "Bistro Chalk Markers" to add a recipe. This tip I got from Brittany of The Fogleman Family and you can get that scoop here.
Thanks Brittany!

That hangs proudly in the space between my kitchen and Dining Room. I love it!

These next two dress up my basement door, which is located in the Family Room. I believe the wall pocket is Southern Living At Home. I got both of these at a church flea market. The wall pocket was $2 and the iron scroll was $3.


I just got this little picture of a key and doorknob from a moving sale last weekend. It's unbelievably heavy for it's size.
It was just $2.

That also hangs in my kitchen next to my sliders.

And this next one I thought was so pretty. I got it at Goodwill for $1.

I was taken with her frame and especially the sweet bow on top.

Lastly is a large picture that I got in a group of three from the moving sale last weekend, mentioned above.
It was part of a grouping of three architectural prints and I liked this one the best. It sits freestanding on an old slant top desk I just got from Craig's List. I thought that side of the room needed some height, but didn't want to hang anything else on the wall, as the mirrors take up so much wall space.



Oops, I almost forgot this guy over my mantle. He was $5 at a yardsale last Summer.


So that's it for my cheap wall art. Hope you enjoyed it. And hope you are all having a wonderful Wednesday.
Thanks for visiting!

10 comments:

Kim @ Savvy Southern Style said...

Wow, Kim you have found some marvelous deals. I love the bird print a lot. For some reason birds are really in right now. Love the little floral one from Goodwill, too. We just got a new big goodwill down the street. That parking lot is always full. It amazes my husband and me. I have been once and no luck, but will go back soon. I need to find out the best day to go. I have heard that there is a certain day that a lot of new stuff is set out. You have a good eye for the bargains!! Your living room is really pretty.

Anonymous said...

Hi Kim! Oh, my goodness - what beauties you've found. That oil painting is marvelous! The bird print is so lovely in the pretty frame. Love the doorknob and key! Oh, shoot! I love everything you have. I sure wish I could so shopping with you - you got some wonderful deals.
Be a sweetie,
Shelia ;)

Brittany said...

Girl, you find the most awesome deals! Makes me wanna go on a thrifting spree :) I love it all, it looks great. So you found the markers?! Yay! Aren't they wonderful?!

Mid-Atlantic Martha said...

Kim -- you have a beautiful gallary! Love your pictures all tucked into the perfect spot! Lovely -- where did you find the markers? I would love to find some!

Stacey said...

Kicking myself because I never get that lucky!! I like every piece that you showed.

Sherri said...

You STOLE those items I tell ya!!! WOWZERS! I love the paintings. LOVE the knob and key one ...as in jealous want it love. The clock is FAB and so is the scroll iron piece.
Love everything you did with it all. Compliments your home so well!

Kendall@ Finesse Your Nest said...

What a FUN post! I love seeing all your beautiful artwork. My favorite are the sweet little chair pieces (4) in your foyer. Super cute!

I was the art buyer for Garden Ridge for 5 years (many moons ago) and I LOVED learning about & meeting sometimes, the artists. Such a colorful community and each had so many great stories behind their pieces. If you want a little inspiration, you might check out Uttermost. I think they have a website. I know Mac, the owner (and he's a dreamboat to look at too!) Their style is real similar to alot of the looks you have already!

Thanks for sharing!

Karen at Nittany Inspirations said...

Your art is great. Not only is it beautiful, but the fact that you purchased them at a bargain is only sweeter. Great finds!

Happy To Be/ Gl♥ria said...

Kim you have found some awesome things girl and they all look wonderful in your home...love that couch my friend...Hope your having a GREAT day...Hugs and smiles Gl♥ria

Wsprsweetly Of Cottages said...

That does it!! I am off to the thrift shops this afternoon..and
Sat. will find me doing garage sales!! Yessireee!!