Saturday, February 13, 2010

Be Still My Heart!

Happy Valentine's Day everyone. Hope you are all enjoying a great weekend. This morning I went treasure-hunting with my BFF Denise and my Valentine tagged along for the ride. I scored a few bargains, but the creme-de-la-creme was this gorgeous painting that I just had to share with you.

There was a yardsale advertised on Craig's List and when we found it, we discovered that it was right next door to the Habitat For Humanity ReStore. They have alot of hidden treasures, but until today I've never been lucky enough to find one.

I expected this to be waaaaaaay out of my price range.


But I was very surprised and excited to learn that they were only asking $25 and I snapped a picture of the pricetag just to prove it (cause even I couldn't believe it!).


The signature at the top left reads F. Julia Bach and is dated 1944.


I'm assuming it's a reproduction from the sticker on the back.


Did you see the number 2 written in marker next to the sticker? You know what THAT means! Some lucky duck scored this at some point over the years for a whopping $2!!!

I'm still happy to have only paid $25. I think she looks lovely sitting on top of my old desk in my Living Room. What do you think?

It will be a reminder of my Valentine's present to myself.

I'll post the rest of my day's finds during Thrifty Thursday. I was thinking about hosting a party starting in the Spring called Yardsale Saturday to show off all of our bargains. Might even have a prize for the winner each week - the person who scored the best bargain. Give me your thoughts on that as well.

Thanks and enjoy the rest of your weekend!

22 comments:

Ashley said...

Wow what a steal! I wish I could find cool things at the Habitat store...I never do! Happy Valentine's Day!

Handbags*and*Pigtails said...

Hey we all love prizes! I say do it! Beautiful find, BTW!:)
Sarah

Handbags*and*Pigtails said...

Hey we all love prizes! I say do it! Beautiful find, BTW!:)
Sarah

xinex said...

It' very pretty and I love the frame!..Christine

Debbiedoos said...

That is what I call a Bargoon!!~ Very pretty!

Kim @ Savvy Southern Style said...

I love it Kim. That is a bargain. It is worth way more than that I'm sure.

southerninspiration said...

You got roses for Valentine's Day in a gorgeous frame, to boot....what a deal! Great find!

Suzanne

Terri Smith said...

Good gracious alive Kim,you certainly scored on this one! The frame alone is worth more than $25.

Thanks so much for your sweet comment today over at Dimples & Dragonflies. The frame in today's photo, was in the saddest shape when I got a hold of it. Makes my deal of having paid $5 for it not so bad since it turned out looking so much better when I finished with it. It did however take some elbow grease and a lot of fresh paint to get it where I wanted it to be.

I have to tell you sister..after seeing your great find today, I'm rethinking this whole artist thing! Ha ha. How can any of us ever hit the big time when deals like this keep popping up? Ha ha.

Seriously..you did GOOD! The painting is absolutely beautiful!

Glenda/MidSouth said...

You did get a great deal!

Wendy said...

Kim, That is a great find! Wow! It is beautiful. Happy Valentine's!

Wendy

Unknown said...

That's it! I'm going to hire you to be my own personal shopper. ;-) I can't believe the great deals you score. Way to go!

Nancy

Blondie's Journal said...

The painting is beautiful, Kim. I would have bought it, definitely. And I like your idea for a Saturday party (Saturdays are boring in blogland!!) and I LOVE yard sales!! Pictures AT the sale will be cool, too! Go for it!

xoxo
Janie

Sissie's Shabby Cottage said...

Now that's what I call a beautiful deal. I love Habitat and I usually always find something great.

hugs
Sissie

Chase said...

You scored again! It's just beautiful!

Kristens Creations said...

That was me above...I didn't realize Chase was signed in. Have a wonderful Valentine's Day! Kristen

Anonymous said...

Wow, Kim. That's so exciting. Have you done any research on line to learn more about the artist, etc.?

About 40 years ago, my mother found a framed oil painting laying in a dumpster. She picked it up, dusted it off, and hung it on the wall.

It, too, was signed by the original artist, and now this artist has died and his painting are in museums all across the country.

I'm embarrassed to say that I don't remember the artist's name (turning a bit red), but it was a painting which was done for the Work Program right after the depression.

Gail said...

What a nice Valentine gift to yourself and I too think it looks lovely sitting on top of your old desk.

Paula@SweetPea said...

Another great find! It is very pretty.

Debbiedoos said...

Kim thanks for that info on the home tour! I will be engaging for sure!~ I was a former RMS'er had to retire it, and go to blogging!!~ No Drama Mama here going on for sure. Everyone is so positive and kind:) Your a doll face!!~

Stickhorsecowgirls said...

Gorgeous! Absolutely wonderful find! I'm going to seek out the Habitat store in our town!

Dayka Robinson said...

Wow, great find with a beautiful frame!

Debbiedoos said...

Hi Kim,
I posted my home tour, whewwww. did a lot cleaning first!!~ It motivated me...see you there:) You Atlantic city trip looked fun!!~ How sweet of you you for your daughters birthday!