Monday, July 11, 2011

Color Splash Jersey Shore Style

Not THAT Jersey Shore.  The real Jersey Shore!  Did you know that the cast from J.S. isn't from NJ?  They're New Yawkers!

In the summertime in South Jersey, everybody goes Down The Shore.  Not to the beach, not TO the shore, but "Down the Shore".  If you say anything else, you're not from Jersey - you're a shoebie.  But that's a whole other post.  In this post I'm showing off my master bedroom and how I infused color to give it a more beachy feel.

Here's the before:




And the after:



Here's a breakdown of what I did.  I added new nightstands, purchased at a church flea market last year for $4 a piece.




Next I spray painted the lamps sky blue.



I then added a vibrant turquoise blue pillow to the bedding and a small sunburst mirror over the headboard.


I still need another pillow, just haven't found the right one.

I also added some watercolor paintings I got at a yardsale last month for $2 a piece.  LOVE these!!!

I almost made a gi-normous mistake and only bought one!  The other one had a small water stain.  But the owner talked me into getting both and I'm so glad I did.

They're so beautiful and the colors go perfectly in the room.

After that, I decided I wanted to add color to the headboard.  Not wanting to spend any more money, I opted to use leftover paint, cause I'm cheap like that.  I chose a soft, pale yellow that's in my living room.  It's Baer Paint in Havana Cream.



My dresser was given the Chalk Paint treatment in Provence, followed by the obligatory distressing, sanding, staining and waxing.


I love how this turned out!


What a difference!



I added accessories to bring more color.


Denise picked up this beautiful antique foil picture at a yardsale for $2 and let me keep it ;)




I love how the room looks and feels now.

From this:

To this:


And this:


to this:



Beachy-keen!

Have a fabulicious week!
xoxo,
Kim



23 comments:

The Decorative Dreamer said...

Very pretty! I love how that turned out too! That color looks so great in your room too!

Kim @ Savvy Southern Style said...

Kim, it looks fantastic! Love the provence blue on your dresser. Great nightstands and what a steal. Love that bold blue colored pillow added for that extra pop on your bed. Perfect.

Calypso In The Country said...

Kim,
Your room looks beautiful! Very beachy! We were actually "down the shore" this past week. But I must admit, for the past few years I have been saying, "We are going to the beach" instead of "down the shore" because I have this need sometimes to distance myself from the Jersey stereotype with all these rediculous "reality" shows on...
But who am I kidding...the true Jersey girl in me knows it will always be "Down the Shore"!...
-Shelley

Carolyn@Sweet Chaos Home said...

I'm a Jersey girl transplanted to the land-locked Midwest, so I haven't been "down the shore" this year :)

I LOVE the changes to your bedroom. The colors you added are gorgeous... very soothing and shore-like. Enjoy!

Anonymous said...

Looks beautiful Kim!

We have friends from "back east". She is from NJ. When they visited us at our lake place she said it reminded her of "down the shore".

Kirsten Harr said...

I love the splashes of color! It makes me want to take off for the beach!

Crystal @ Ordinary Days said...

Love the new color of the dresser. Totally gorgeous. :)

Ricki Treleaven said...

I never thought I would admit it, but I love Jersey style! (psst! Don't tell anyone, but I am addicted to Jersilicious...)

Marigene said...

I love the changes, Kim...so calm and cool for summer. Beautiful shades of blue, you have chosen.

Penny from Enjoying The Simple Things said...

Love the changes. It looks really lovely.

Love Of Quilts said...

I like the change....love the blue dresser and the hummingbirds. Trish

Poppy @ With a Dash of Color said...

I absolutely love this gorgeous beachy bedroom.... from the subtle turquoise accents to the shabby mirror...simply divine! And that gorgeous headboard makes such a beautiful focal point... loved it! As well as those thrifty paintings are so perfect for this room... loved every detail. Great post! Have a lovely evening!~Poppy

http://withadashofcolor.blogspot.com/

Melinda said...

Looks very peaceful and wonderful.

melinda

Jemsmom said...

That is awesome!!! I am trying to decide what to do in my bedroom right now and I love this look! I am all about the soft beachy theme, but wonder if I will love it all winter long. Ughhh... yours is gorgeous and I love how you always change things out to make it go perfectly. Those watercolors are beautiful!

Ruby Jean said...

Love the changes...And the burst of Aqua is beautiful...

janet said...

what a beautiful color makeover...the whole bedroom is beautiful and your bed gives the feeling of sleeping on a cloud...enjoy!
hugs
janet

Decor & Harmony said...

David Bromstad better move over cause here comes Kim! Your room looks very lovely. There are so many great pieces.

Anonymous said...

Love your room! It is so "beachy"- my fav! Your bedroom is so serene, quite a retreat!

Comeca Jones said...

I love your space! And I really like the mirror on the dresser very nice!

Sandra said...

WOW! Kim, I love it all! I saw the first picture of your dresser and thought "O-M-G! I want those colors!!" . . . then....I saw the new color and it is so beautiful! I love the pops of blue color on your lamps and the pillow. Everything looks great!

Becca Bertotti said...

Kim, your dresser looks GORGEOUS! You chose the perfect AS color to add a little bit of pop to your stunning bedroom! And, the coordinating pillow on your bed, carrying the turquoise is awesome! I just added a bit of turquoise in my dining room ... fun color! xo

Katie @ Wildwood Creek said...

The dresser is beautiful--love the color!

Sarah said...

It's amazing how a few small changes can make such a BIG difference!!

Love it!!

I'm waiting for my first chalk paints to arrive, looking forward to getting stuck in!!

Will become a follower as your blog looks right up my street!!

S x (UK)
http://shabbychicsarah.blogspot.com/