Thursday, July 21, 2011

Are They Real Or Fake???

Don't you just love how fake fruit looks so deliciously realistic these days???  I've had more than one set of kindergarten fingers reach for the apples on my kitchen table.  I usually wait til they get that "Eww-that's-disgusting" look on their faces before I tell them they aren't real.  JK.

I will insert my tip of the day here:
DO NOT buy fake fruit at Michaels!  Even with your 40% off coupon they are way too overpriced.  You can buy a whole container full of 'em at Marshalls/Ross/TJ's for as little as $5.99.  And they have all different varieties.  Not sure about Hobby Lobby as I'm not lucky enough to have one nearby, but I'm sure they are cheap there too.  JS.

Moving on.  With the exasperating heat here in the Mid-Atlantic region, I've been forced to stay inside.  And while walking aimlessly around the house looking for things to move/paint/alter in any way that makes a reasonable amount of sense,  I discovered that I have an overwhelming amount of fake fruit.  I've heard a lot about how taboo it is to have fake flowers (not that I listen to that nonsense), but I haven't heard any mention of fake fruit.  Anyone?

Regardless, I'm liking mine and thought I'd share a sampling.


Here a pear....


there a pear...


everywhere a pear pear...


Grapes anyone??


Yummy green apples!


Lots of mixed fruit too.


Love that container from Tuesday Morning.  I gave it a coat of ORB spray paint.  Notice the little birdie on top??  How tweet!


Just got that basket above from Michaels.  Spent way too much for it, but I loved it.

Moving into the Dining Room:


I made the arrangement in the cachepot I got from Tuesday Morning.


Red pears for good measure!


What I love about decorating with fake fruit is the pop of color it so easily adds to any room.

I even use it outside! 



Guess what!  I bought fake lemons from Marshalls and they smell like real lemons!!!! How.cool.is.that!

Back to my kitchen hutch which I can't seem to stop tweaking these days.  Denise, if you're reading this, just scroll to the very end....  
I meant to post this while she was on vacation, but time got away from me.  Crap!!  
She got this tole tray at a yardsale last weekend and it was supposed to go on our Etsy store, but I stole it decorated with it instead.   


Don't judge - it goes perfectly on my hutch. 



And not to worry, I took this tole tray from my stash and listed it on Etsy in it's place, cause I'm nice like that.


And not to worry, I took this tole tray from my stash and listed it on Etsy in it's place, cause I'm nice like that.


It's actually in better shape than the red one.  And Denise, if you want it, you can have it ;)

Have a fabulicious day!
xoxo,
Kim

25 comments:

Kimberly said...

This Jersey girl has no fake fruit in her house. I think I have to get some.

Stacey said...

Yes, there are so many gorgeous fake fruit choices these days. It's funny when someone picks them up thinking they are real. We are stuck in the house too. It's been over 100 for something like 29 days...I'm actually going to take time to file papers today. That's desperate!

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

Love all of your displays. Everything looks so pretty and yes, I agree, the fake fruit does look so real. I love using it in my decor. Hugs, Marty

Darlene said...

I have some fake fruit scattered here and there. I love the extra color it adds (and I love it when someone asks if its real!)I like your outside decorations, too!

Shabby Soul said...

Your fake fruit looks totally O.K. to me. You have fabulous decorating taste, by the way. I wish you lived close to me and was a close friend who couldn't resist helping me decorate my house!
(p.s. fake lemons that smell real sound awesome!)

Calypso In The Country said...

I have some fake pears on my bakers rack! Your vignettes look gorgeous! Thanks for the recent visit (and sweet comments). How bout this heat! Ughh!
-Shelley

Anonymous said...

Hi Kim, I'm a long time follower of yours!! I love your blog. Thanks so much for the nice comments. I live in warren county, not to far from morris county.Do you know where that is?? Have a great day.

Kathy

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...

I don't go for that "it has to be real" stuff either, Kim! I used to have real plants and when I didn't have the time to care for them I got fake. As for the fruit, I have some and I like it when it is done well {like flowers and greenery}. I have some pomegranates and some lemons around myself.

Town and Country Gals said...

Kim,
I'm with you! Fake fruit is fab! I love it and use it a lot and no one has ever said "oh you have fake fruit"! I change it out for the seasons, orange, yellow, green, red, that's the beauty of it! Your displays are lovely. Thanks for stopping by for a visit, I am your newest follower and will be visiting often!
Rebecca

Teresa@1800 Farmhouse Rd said...

I'm lovin all of your "fake" fruit Kim. Everything looks great. I also love your little scales you have displayed. I am on the look out for a vintage set.

Blondie's Journal said...

You do have quite a collection of fruit, but it all looks real and I like how you have decorated with it. I have to check out what they have around here!

XO,
Jane

Glenda/MidSouth said...

I also use the faux fruit and plants/flowers - works for me. :D Some is not real cheap at HL, but they run it 50% off every couple of weeks, so I just wait til on sale.
Thanks for stopping by and nice comment. I won the wire cloche in Bargain Hunting with Laurie's giveaway last Summer and have really enjoy it.
Enjoy your evening.

Unknown said...

Love fake fruit. When I was a floral designer I'd almost always include a piece or two, or three!, in each floral design. But I love the way you've displayed yours!

Thanks for dropping by! Hope to see you again soon.

Sue said...

I only have one little display of fake artichokes out at the moment. I did have a lovely basket of green apples, but the TX heat melted and faded them so I threw them out! I would love to display only the real thing ~ and plants too, but I have a brown thumb and it gets expensive!! I say go faux!!

Sandra said...

I just got rid of my fake fruits...I love everything you've done! I must ask you, where did you find that scale? I need one!! ;)

Traci said...

So pretty! I love everything you've done but I especially love the dining room!

Becca Bertotti said...

You *are* nice like that! I'm a huge fan of fake fruit, too! WalMart has beautiful green and red apples ... a bag of 6 or 7 is not expensive at all. I love using them all over ... and outside, too, like you. Love the vignettes you've created with them. Your kitchen baker's rack is beautiful ... love the colors and all of the elements and layering you've included. And, the dining room vignette is lovely, too! xo

Theresa said...

Kim I can see why you stole the tray from Denise. It makes the hutch look balanced. I love the way you decorate.

I also wanted to tell you that I'm shutting down "A Well Dressed Home" and have started one called "Tuscan Cabin". If you'll click on my picture you'll see it on my profile. I would love to have you to continue to follow me there.

Hope your having a great weekend so far.

XOXO
Theresa

Have a Daily Cup of Mrs. Olson said...

Kim,
Love your entire hutch display! Fake flowers (plastic) are a pet peeve of mine. But the fruit, now that's a different story. I love the pop of color it gives also. The red pear is a beauty. You did a great job on your arrangement. I can see why you need that tray. Thanks so much for following me. Glad you found me, cause now I found you!

Sunny Simple Life said...

You sure do have a lot of it. Funny. My family would try to eat it for sure. You must love fruit. Hope you are having a great summer!!

Tiff said...

Wow! Fruit technology has come a long way! I wouldn't be able to pick they are not real from the pictures! X

Debra from Bungalow said...

I say decorate with what you love. If you enjoy it then go for it. Walmart has some real looking fake fruit.

I am guilty of getting rid of my fake plants and greenery.....mostly because it was so old and dusty and grungy looking.


I just love the blue dresser make over in the previous post. It's gorgeous!

Thanks so much for dropping by my blog, I sure do appreciate it!

rachel said...

Thanks for the tip. I've been on the hunt for some faux granny smith apples for photo staging. I'll be checking Marshall's next. You're blog is adorable. Thanks for stopping by ;)

Rachel
xoxo

Ashley said...

hello! thanks for visiting my blog...came over to see what's happening! i have a scale like the one you have pictured...mine has a red top...go to yahoo groups to find freecycle...there should be one in your town...following you :)

Melissa said...

wow! You do such a fantastic job of accesorizing. Everything looks wonderful. Wish I could do that!