Thursday, September 6, 2012

Got Milk?

Milk Paint, that is.

I received my pre-ordered supply in the mail yesterday and I didn't even wait to change into my work clothes before I dove head-first into a project.  I ordered Mustard Seed Yellow, Tricycle Red and Luckett's Green, along with a supply of antiquing wax and bonding agent.

I used Luckett's Green on a pair of old swing doors I had recently picked up at the flea.  I had a couple ideas of where I wanted to put them, but ended up using them on the mantle with a sunburst mirror in the middle.  I'm really happy with this new look.



Here's how the mantle looked before:


And now:



I had some extra paint, so I painted the round table in the opposite corner of the room, which looked kinda drab before.


And now with Luckett's Green:



My camera didn't quite capture the true beauty of this color.

As far as what I think of the paint, I watched the video and read the instructions like any good DIYer, and then proceeded to do my own thing anyway, which I paid for later.  It was really just an accident on my part.  I was in such a hurry that I added the powder to the water, instead of the other way around like you are supposed to.  That resulted in a watery concoction that was more like a glaze than paint.  This is actually an option if you choose to use it that way.  I found that this way didn't produce the chipping that would occur if I mixed it more like a paint - less watered down.  I was still very happy with the results.

One thing I did notice however, is that when I added more powder later to thicken the mixture, the color actually changed to a lighter green.  The first coat was more like a turquoise -blue.  I decided that in order to achieve a more weathered look I would only add the second coat in the lighter color sporadically.  I was very happy with the end result.

I had a lot of mixed paint leftover, which I stored in an airtight container to use over the weekend.

Have you tried Milk Paint yet?

Thanks for stopping by and have a fabulicious day!
xoxo,
Kim

No comments: