Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Subtle Changes

I don't know about you, but at least once a year I go through my house and purge.  It's usually around the same time I do a strenuous cleaning.  Now before you go thinking I only clean my house once a year, remember I said "strenuous".  For the record, I clean my house twice a year!  I take stock of my surroundings and decide that there's too much "stuff".  Stuff on walls, countertops, on top of tables, underneath tables, behind tables, next to tables, heck there are even too many tables.

I know what you are thinking, I just did a post on accent tables and how much I love them, and truth be told I only removed one table this particular purge and it will probably find its way back into my home at some point in the near future.  In fact, I will probably add more "stuff" to my walls and tables at some point too, but for now, I like the feeling of clean and freshness that surrounds me when I look around my home.  I had a few too many fake flowers and arrangements that were just collecting way too much dust.  And as much as I love them, it makes me feel better at the moment not having them collecting dust.

So down they went to the great beyond known as my storage room in the basement.  The place for misfit decor.  But not to worry, there are already bets being placed on how long before I hang something new/old in their place.  Odds are in favor of less than a month.  That's another post.

I'lll show you what I took down so you can gasp and say "Oh No She Didn't!!!"(does anyone else besides my kids have this ridiculous app on their cell phones?!)  And as always, your input is more than welcome!

Kitchen counter went from this:



to this:


aaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhh......

Antique in the Living Room from this:


to this:



yeahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh...........

Office space before:


office space after:


(How d'ya like my new cork board???  Hubby made it for me using an antique frame I found at a flea market - these will soon be available on my Etsy.).



The clock went.  Well, it didn't exactly go completely, just got moved to a new home......until I find a better home.

Back in the kitchen, the wall decor is gone baby gone.


Even de-cluttered the corkboard in the Mud Room.


Living Room as it looks now without a coffee table.


This is actually out of necessity.  After the baby comes I'll be moving the coffee table from the rec room into this room.  But for now, I like the openness that this provides.

Also removed the bench seen here in front of the fireplace.


Since we'll be using the fireplace a lot, this will just get in the way.

So that's it, nothing major, but I sure feel like I can breathe around here again.  Just how long it will last is anyone's guess.

Enjoy the rest of your week!
xoxo,
Kim

31 comments:

Love the Decor! said...

Very nice Kim
Tried to email this next part but it bounced back so here it is
you might think this an odd request but I noticed a portion of your kitchen on the current post and wondered if you had a picture of the whole kitchen?
We are soon to be remodeling ours and it is very small. What caught my eye in yours, was the tiny counter between the stove and fridge. right now my stove and refridge are touching but I like the option you have
anyway this is weird I know but would love to see your whole kitchen If it isn't too much trouble. You can email it to me if you want
debbie.business@gmail.com
Thank you
Debbie

Debbiedoos said...

Oh Yes Kim, I am a purger too....it feels so good. Problem is, I go out and buy more crap!

Blondie's Journal said...

I usually purge the clutter that accumulated by not being put back where it belongs...then everything looks simple and uncluttered again...for awhile! ;-D

I like what you did, the kitchen especially. I always think my kitchen is the most cluttered because it is Command Central!

Great job, Kim!

xoxo
Jane

Sissie's Shabby Cottage said...

Hi Kim!
I have been cleaning a purging this week too while at the same time trying to give a new look to my livingroom.

Your home looks great. It's sparkling and shining.
Does make you feel good.

hugs
Sissie

The Decorative Dreamer said...

I do this too! Then I go out later and bring in more junk! I'm sick that way too! LOL! But it does feel good when you are in clean and sparse mode doesn't it..for awhile!

southerninspiration said...

Yes, I'm with Blondie...sometimes it just takes putting away the clutter, but I do know what you mean about editing and just enjoying the easy breathing for a little bit! It does look sparkling clean!!

Suzanne

Anonymous said...

Hi Kim! Oh, everything looks so nice and I too love to have a clean slate at time - doesn't last long though! :) Your home is so pretty.
Now how are you feeling? Don't go being too smart and doing too much now!!
I'm having a Heart of the Home Party about the kitchen next month, hope you can come. Your kitchen is all spiffed up now so take pictures and bring them! :)
Be a sweetie,
Shelia ;)

Mid-Atlantic Martha said...

Sometimes a change just feels good! I've been looking around at all my "piles" lately saying -- they've GOT TO GO! Thanks for the inspiration.

Jemsmom said...

It all looks really lovely! I do that to sometimes. I think we need it to just kind of renew ourselves. I love above the antique piece. That looks gorgeous!

Penny from Enjoying The Simple Things said...

I do this about once every two years. I tend to not have that much out, so there is not alot to purge. I think this comes from moving alot - lol!
Hugs,
Penny

All That Glitters said...

I have a bunch of crap to get rid of! I do like your lamp and plate in your kitchen. Makes it really warm! Bring that back out!!! lol!

Kristi said...

I do this too!! But somehow it always finds it's way back out!!! What can I say, I love my stuff! :)
It all looks great! :)
Kristi

Paula@SweetPea said...

Things are looking great around your house. It does feel good to move things around every once in a while.

Anonymous said...

I am the same way. I still have lots of things, but I either rotate them to different rooms or just stash them in the attic until I decide to get rid of them completely or to use them again. I just love have minimal things on my flat surfaces.

Becca Bertotti said...

Hey, hey ... love your nesting project! I've been doing a bit of "purging" myself; however, my Fall decor is creeping into fill my once empty spots! I love what you've done ... I have that same red vase and yellow plate that you have/had in your kitchen! Everything looks beautiful. Hugs, Becca

Darlene said...

Everything looks great. I especially like the look of empty frames together, and filing a frame with corkboard. Great ideas.

Kim @ Savvy Southern Style said...

I do like you and think I need to purge some stuff and little by little stuff finds it's way back in.

Glenda/MidSouth said...

I also am trying to declutter, but my project got put on the back burner. Will get back to it all in the near future - Soon I hope!
Have a great week.

Wendy said...

Kim,
It is so much fun to purge and re-organize! Your changes look great! I have a cherry coffee table and end table that don't fit in the new house. Would be happy to share with you...if you are looking for a coffee table for the livingroom!
Hugs~
Wendy

Tricia said...

I think it all looks lovely and refreshed. I am in the midst of a major purge myself. Before the winter locks us inside the house, I need some room to breathe. Ya' know?
How are you feeling, girl? I need to see some pics. Just sayin'. ;)

xo*t

Anonymous said...

Love all the before and after photos. I, too, change up my accessories when I tire of them. I've got to figure out why your posts don't show up in my roll...I've linked from another blog to you.

I hope you are feeling wonderful.
Hugs, Marla

Gloria said...

I DO like the antique now, the fabric and candles look very rich. But put those things back in your kitchen! I love all that stuff!!
Everthing else looks beautiful. :)
Best,
Gloria

Laura said...

Hi Kim
You have a beautiful home. Thank you so much for your comment on my blog the other day. I wished I lived as far South as you... my hubby works in North Jersey so we went as far down as we could... Sandy Hook (the start of the Jersey Shore)... Are you close to the beach too?
Lx

Jessica Radick said...

you've won an award over at
http://jeansandatshirtmom.blogspot.com/

Go check it out! Thanks

Melanie said...

I do the same thing. About twice a year I get rid of stuff. Usually around the start of school and Christmas. Sometimes I clean in the spring too. Doesn't it feel great to get rid of stuff?

Anonymous said...

Hi Kim! Oh, no, it's never too late! You can snap for me anytime you want too! I just try and wait until I have a few gals who have snapped so I can have more than one. So you just put on your pretty smile and snap away and let me know. I will be so excited for you to snap!
Again, I love seeing your gorgeous home!
Be a sweetie,
Shelia ;)

Unknown said...

I love fall sprucing up! I always get the urge this time of year, too. Your home is beautiful!

Danielle @ Transforming Home said...

You have such a beautiful home, Kim! I know how you feel - I frequently declutter and feels soooo good.
Thanks so much for the sweet words and for visiting my blog - what a sweetheart!

Danielle

Anonymous said...

Isn't it funny what a little rearranging can do for your house? My husband laughs anytime he has to go out of town, as he knows I will be moving things all over.....smiles.

GardenOfDaisies said...

I totally understand! I do the same thing. I clean up and clear out and a live uncluttered for a couple of months, and then I seem to bring more things into the house to take the place... LOL! Sometimes I really wonder about this split personality I have with decorating.

Attic Clutter said...

Wonderful changes
I like it the old way or the new actually (:)
Darling any ol'way ..
hugs,Patty