Friday, December 2, 2011

Smoking Table Redo

A couple of months ago I posted about an antique smoking table I got at a yardsale for $30.  You can read all about that here.  I specifically fell in love with this one because of the beautiful wrought iron base, and had never seen one like this before.



The compact size made it a perfect fit as an end table in my Family Room.  The sofa in here shares a wall with the basement door, so I'm limited as to what I can put next to it without the door hitting it.



I also love that it has a spot for storage.


The reason it is called a smoking table is because the top is actually a humidor.  This one still had it's gorgeous original copper lining.



It didn't take long for me to get the itch to paint it either.  I decided to go with A.S.C.P. in Old Ochre since I had just done a piece for my show using that color and fell in love with it.  When you apply the dark stain to Old Ochre, there are just no words describe how beautiful it is.  It is by far, my most favorite combination.


Just look at that patina.  It's so authentic looking in person.

I decided to add a little some'in, some'in to her and chose a stencil I found online from Maison de Stencils.  I can't remember who first mentioned this on their blog, so please don't give me credit.  The Graphics Fairy is wonderful for providing free vintage graphics, but I have yet to find an easy way to apply them to furniture, so finding a supplier of vintage stencils was a godsend!  His designs include feed sacks, crowns, fleur de lis, damasks and chandeliers. You can click here to visit his online store and if you do, tell him I sent you!  I've already used my stencil on several pieces and can't wait to buy more.



For my smoking table, since it is so small, I decided to just use the bottom half of my stencil.  It's so simple - I just adhered the stencil with painters tape and then applied black acrylic paint using a small stencil brush.  Easy peasy!



Once it was all painted and waxed I decided that the black of the wrought iron base was too overpowering, so I softened it using an antiquing glaze that I had in my stash.  It gave the iron a weathered look that goes better with the distressed look of the wood.



I'm loving this sweet little table and don't think I'll ever part with it.  It's just too unique.


Thanks for visiting and have a fabulicious weekend!
xoxo,
Kim



12 comments:

Tina said...

That turned out great! Very pretty

Have a great weekend.

Anonymous said...

Ooh La-La! I loved the table before you redid it, and now it's just gorgeous! You're very gifted :)

Tammy@Beatrice Banks said...

That's really fabulous! Love what you did to it. The storage feature is great too.

Penny from Enjoying The Simple Things said...

Wow! That turned out so wonderful! I love it!

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...

It looks great, Kim! I used Old
Ochre on my hall tree before we moved, except I didn't do the dark wax. It blends right in with the wall here so maybe I should rethink that. Love the stencil; it is just perfect on that door.

Kimberly said...

Love the little table. You make everything beautiful.

Shenita @ Embellishments by SLR said...

Kim, this looks great! I've got to remember that color. I have some pieces that I want to use the chalk paint on, after the holidays. Yours looks wonderful! Thanks so much for sharing!

Sonya@Beyond the Screen Door said...

Oh, my! What a transformation! It doesn't even look like the original table. Love the finish and I agree, the difference the stain makes is amazing. You have a beautiful family, Kim! What a blessing to have your precious baby boy!

Kellie Collis said...

How lovely! It's even more gorgeous with the stencil. Have a beautiful weekend, Kellie xx

Jennifer @ Town and Country Living said...

Your little table turned out great! I really like the stencil on it. Great choice of color, too.

Victorian1885 said...

What a great transformation!

Sue said...

That is a beautiful piece Kim, and I wouldn't part with it either. You did a great job on it.
Merry Christmas
Sue