Thursday, March 8, 2012

Kitchen Tour

This is where it all happens here at MDB.  Not my favorite room in the house as I still have a few small things on my wishlist, but it's the hub of our home nonetheless.  It's where we gather, do homework, entertain, eat pray love, and occasionally make a ginormous mess.

"What are YOU lookin at?"

In the interest of full disclosure I admit that these pictures were taken at 6 a.m. before anyone else was awake.  An hour later and there would be empty juice boxes on the counter, syrup glued to the table and homework on the island that I will be driving to school because someone forgot to stick it in their bookbag.

I also conveniently left out the highchair - complete with caked-on spaghetti sauce from last night's dinner (ok, maybe 2 nights ago) and cheerios strewn on the surrounding floor. The goal for now is to give the impression that I keep a tidy house.

Come on in.


Wish list/to-do list item #1 - farmhouse kitchen table.  We'll be needing an extra chair soon!





To-do list item #2 - get a small area rug for in front of the stove.





Wish list item #2 - new built-in microwave, although I would love a killer range hood!


Not sure why the builder left a huge empty wall in the kitchen, but I'm kinda glad they did cause I stinkin' LOVE my kitchen hutch.


Looking into the formal dining room.



Wish list item #3 - take out cabinets and put up open shelves in this area.
But Sweetie, just read all the comments in favor of this lovely idea! (help me out here peeps).




About 90 degrees to the left is the family wreck rec center, AKA, the Family Room.  A BIG reveal is coming in this room that is still in the redecorating process so sTaY TUned!!

Thanks for stopping by and have a fabulicious day!
xoxo,
Kim

No Minimalist Here

18 comments:

Teresa@1800 Farmhouse Rd said...

Yes, yes sweetie, you have to get this gal some open shelving, ok?? I just finished painting my kitchen cabinets (can you believe it) and left some doors off for open shelving and I LOVE it!!! Waiting on subway tiles and wood floor to be installed before showing. I love your kitchen, but totally understand the wish list. Can't wait for your new reveal. Oh and that baby boy is precious, let him make his mess and enjoy it.

dee dee said...

What a beautiful kitchen! So bright and airy! Have you thought about simply removing the doors to the cabinets and painting the backs a different color? I've seen that done and looks great! Of course shelves would bee nice too!
thanks for sharing!
dee dee

Glenda/MidSouth said...

Yes - Homework left on the counter, dried sauce and cheerios on the floor - sounds like a normal lived in home with children. :D
Cole looks like he is thinking - I can really make a mess with this? :D

Blondie's Journal said...

I love your kitchen! It is so open and light and airy! I think a farmhouse table would be nice but the one you have now goes so well with your hutch!

The only time my kitchen looks good is after everyone has left and I have cleaned up breakfast. The it is a mess again after they come home. Yes, the kitchen is the heart {and mess} of the home! Loved seeing a picture of your little cutie!

XO,
Jane

Dee ⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️ said...

Hi Kim,

You have a beautiful and large kitchen. I like the idea of open shelves. I love your hutch!

Dee

Rooms by Ann said...

Adorable in his high chair. Your kitchen is lovely. That hutch is gorgeous.look forward to family room reveal. Thanks for sharing.

Calypso In The Country said...

I love your kitchen and your vignettes! - Especially the one with the white pitchers and the cutting board!
-Shelley

Melinda said...

That Birthday boy is just too darned cute and getting cuter by the day. Your kitchen looks great too!

Melinda

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...

Oh yes, Kim, absolutely, open shelves {good? : )}. I actually saw a kitchen magazine at Lowe's that was a two-fer with Traditional Home that had a picture of beautiful shelves in a kitchen between a window and cabinetry. Stunning!

Did that cake wind up on the floor or all over your little guy? It's amazing how fast the time has gone by; I remember when you had him! Then again, I can't believe my granddaughter will be 2 this July!

Shenita @ Embellishments by SLR said...

Kim, what a great kitchen! The open shelving will look amazing! Can't wait to see the family room!

Ceekay-THINKIN of HOME said...

Well I definately agree that you are needing a new table soon! Beautiful kitchen and gorgeous hutch!!

Tina said...

All you have to do is get in your car and come see the list of things my kitchen needs and you will be hightailing it back to your own. hehe.

A 6ft fence for 1 acre of property really puts a damper on new kitchen flooring. :(

pssssst. I know what your favorite room is in your house but YOUR kitchen is MY favorite room in your house. Thusfar.

The end.
Adios.
Arrivederchi.
Good night.

May I have sweet dreams of MY ONE DAY new kitchen floor....counter tops....new faucet and a back splash. zzzzzzzzz

Grandma Linda's Daydreams said...

Baby Bliss is so adorable! You would arrange open shelves, (or just open cabinets, like you did atop the fridge) so beautifully! It would look great and be so practical! Look how absolutely gorgeously you always decorate the hutch! Your kitchen looks very pretty, but you probably do need a bigger table and chairs soon, for your busy,busy, hub and "heart of the home".

ℳartina @ Northern Nesting said...

Kim I love your kitchen, it's so open and bright and love love that gorgeous hutch!! Can't wait to see what your up to in you family room! Have a great weekend!

Melissa said...

your kitchen is beautiful. My SIL took out her kitchen cabs and did open shelves HERE.

I think it's a GREAT idea. And she loves the functionality of it, too.

Gloria said...

WOW, I haven't visited in so long: look at Little Mr. Bliss!!! I can see he is thriving! Good to stop by and see how cute he is and I hope you and the rest of your family have been well. Take care, Kim!
Best,
Gloria

Bliss said...

Stopping by your Blissful blog to meet another Blissful lady! Your home is beautiful, and I want you to make my cupcake for my next birthday too - that's a big 'en!

Can't get the thought of your niece getting hit out of my mind, so glad God was watching over her. When I was a child I saw another kid get hit by a car and it's something you never forget seeing, so thinking about everyone who witnessed it too.

~Bliss~

~Bliss~

Sooner Laura said...

I stinkin' LOVE your kitchen hutch too! Open shelving? I'm not sure about that. Personally, I would not want it and think the fad will pass. I would suggest glass door with a slightly obscure glass that shows a hint of what's behind without revealing the imperfections. One of the next items on my list of stuff I really want to change in my kitchen.