Friday, June 4, 2010

DIY Antique Chalkboard

The concept of DIY chalkboards is nothing new in the Blog 'burbs, especially with the assortment of chalkboard paints that are now available.  What's so great about them is the crafty ways bloggers use things they already have around the house and turn them into practical yet decorative pieces of art.  My own version is not all that crafty, but I did use something I already had - a large ornate antique picture frame.


This isn't the exact one I used for my project, but it's about the same size and I wanted to give you an idea of what to use.  You can usually find lots of these at flea markets or yard sales for a reasonable price.

I found one that was just the size I was looking for and also had a presence all on its own.  Additionally, it blended with the rest of the decor around my home.

I then looked around for something to use as a backing, since I didn't want to spend any money for this project.

I came up with this picture that used to hang in our basement/man cave.


Very manly.

But with a woman's touch, that turned into this:


I used some chalkboard spray paint I had and then ran the surface of the long side of a piece of chalk along the entire surface to "season" the chalkboard.  You wipe it off with a paper towel and you're ready to go.

I used this great chalk marker that I found on another blog (forgive me for not remembering who you are!) to add a recipe.



I found these at A.C. Moore and they are wonderful for giving a neat and clean finish to your board, and they wipe off like regular chalk.


Another great tip for hanging anything heavy are these gorilla hooks.  I found mine at Bed, Bath & Beyond, but you can get them anywhere.


They really do work!

Here's another view of where I hung my chalkboard.



It's a small hallway leading from the kitchen to the formal Dining Room, which is why I wanted it to look a little more formal.  It's also directly across from my pantry, which makes it convenient to write down things I need to pick up at the grocery store.


A close-up look at the detail.

Overall this was a simple project.  I'm linking up to the following parties.

Home and Family Friday at Home is Where My Story Begins
Show and Tell Friday at My Romantic Home
Plant A Punkin Seed Party at Punkin Seed Creations
Creative Cats Party at Poppies at Play
Inspired By Friday at The Inspired Room

A special thanks to the hostesses of all of these great parties.  Be sure to check them out for other inspiring projects.

xoxo,
Kim

24 comments:

Happy To Be/ Gl♥ria said...

Just wonderful girl...Love the frame on that board...how very clever you are My Dear friend...Hugs and smiles Gl♥ria

Ceekay-THINKIN of HOME said...

Great chalkboard....and we love those hooks!!

Becca Ross said...

This is the second chalkboard post I've seen with those cool markers! I need some of those for my classroom AND my house. Thanks so much for linking up. This is a great looking chalkboard!

Becca

Linda @ Itsy Bits And Pieces said...

Kim~ I just LOVE this! I've been wanting to do something like this in my kitchen! And I've never seen those markers~ they look awesome! You have definitely inspired me~ thanks!!

Kimberly said...

great idea Kim!
Thought of you today - I was out walking and came across a moving sale! will post my finds tomorrow!

PAT said...

Great job. I want to make one of these, too.

Debbiedoos said...

I love that...that is trick the chalk board markers....I can't write neat at all, and I often wondered how others did such a nice job!~ Love your new creation Kim, and it looks great there too!

Blondie's Journal said...

Nicely done. I need to get some of those Gorilla Clips for a large mirror I want to hang. Thanks for the tip!

xoxo
Jane

Anonymous said...

Kim,

Re-purposing something old and not used into a functional treasure is always a joy. Your chalk board is one of the nicest I've seen around "blog burbs"! Love the detail on the frame. Thank you for sharing.

Deborah

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...

Very pretty ~ love the frame! I just hung a chalkboard that I found {someone was getting rid of it}. I found the markers at Michaels. They were not easy to find and I had to ask the staff for help, but they do carry them.

All That Glitters said...

your chalkboard looks great!! I never get tired of looking at those!

Wendy said...

Looks great! I love the looks of a gold frame with the black of the chalkboard! I need to look for those markers,they are really Awesome :)
Wendy

Sissie's Shabby Cottage said...

I would have never thought to spray the chalk paint over the heavy print. You are so clever.
I have thrown so many of those old heavy cardboard prints away just to use the frame. Now, I know.

Beautiful board and looks great on your wall.

hugs
Sissie

Kim @ Savvy Southern Style said...

Love your framed chalkboard. Still need to do one of those.

Unknown said...

Hello sweet Kim - I'm visiting from The Inspired Room! Thank you for sharing your chalkboard makeover. Love the frame! And I'm going to have to try those chalk markers.

Blessings,
Marie
http://emmacallsmemama.com

Gypsy Heart said...

Great chalkboard ~ and thanks for the tip about the markers. I need to create one for myself. I keep thinking I will do it but this has inspired me to get with the program! :-)

Have a wonderful weekend ~
Pat

Bob West said...

I hope you enjoy my blog as much as I have yours. great pics.
I am now a follower.
God Bless, Bob
http://westbob.blogspot.com/2010/05/god-vs-science.html

Kimberly said...

What a beautiful chalk board. You do great work!

Please, join us on "Mia Monday". Every week is a new theme, and it is always about YOU! Monday we are sharing five photos of ourselves. Any five...could be more or less. Come by link up and join the party every Monday at "Mia Monday".

Tracy's Trinkets and Treasures said...

I saw those markers a few months ago. They make me want a chalkboard.

Love Of Quilts said...

I was wondering if that would have been a collectors item you painted over. Chalkboard looks great....I bet those come in handy. Trish

Tina said...

Another fabulous project Kim! I love it:) And how neat is that chalkboard marker:) Hope you are having a wonderful weekend ~ Tina xx

Anonymous said...

Great idea! thank you! smiles.

Becca Ross said...

I just featured this on my blog!

http://becca-homeiswheremystorybegins.blogspot.com/2010/06/home-and-family-friday-favorites.html

Becca

Stephanie ~ Angelic Accents said...

Wow, love this chalkboard. Beautiful and useful, too!

Big TX Hugs,
Stephanie
Angelic Accents