Monday, November 30, 2009

Laughter, The Best Medicine

I woke up this morning feeling like crap - a bad cold, aches and pains, fatigue - and all I wanted to do was crawl back into bed for the rest of the day. Once reality bore its ugly face and I realized that pop tarts don't count as a nutritious lunch in school these days I slapped on some clothes and zipped off to Walmart to replenish my pantry. Of course it's pouring freezing cold rain at this point and I have no coat. So I ran into Ross and found a perfectly good, perfectly priced Liz Claiborne coat for $36.99. Things were starting to look up. But not for long. I rushed home with my groceries, realizing half way home I forgot several things on my list. So now I have everything I need to make an awesome dinner, except for ONE stinkin ingredient!

Looked up at the clock and had an hour to go before the kids get home, so I rush to a friend's house to give some decorating advice. That was actually the best part of my day! Thanks Mrs. M! I got home just in time to get the kids off the bus and have a kitchen full of groceries still to be put away. Still cold and rainy, I grab a bag of trash to put out back and fall down the patio steps into a huge puddle. I hold back the tears just long enough to wash some dishes and cut my finger on the blender - OUCH!
Cue the meltdown.

It was a typical meltdown. The perfect blend of self-pity and helplessness with a teaspoon of melodrama. My makeup was almost completely gone by the time my girls came upstairs looking for me. Amy needed help with her homework and not knowing where I was she asked her big sister for help. This is where the fit of tears turned into a fit of laughter. I heard the conversation, but not wanting to be found in my current state, I just listened as Amy said, "Mallory, what's bigger, South America or the suhvet onion?" I thought about that one for a minute and then heard her ask again when Mal said, "huh?" "What's bigger South America or the suhvet onion?" Apparently Mal had the same thought I did at this point - a vegetable we never heard of. Which led to Mal saying "What's the suhvet onion?"..................Amy was getting frustrated at this point and angrily replied, "I dunno, it's in Russia somewhere!"

16 comments:

Kelly said...

I would love to laugh, but the truth is that I have these days too often. One small thing after another goes wrong, and before you know it, I am completely useless for the rest of the day. I am so glad that you had something to perk up your bad day! Kids will always do that for you! :-)

Free Art Printables said...

ha ha ha! It's nice when a bad day can go to good with a few small words.

Glenda/MidSouth said...

The conversation between your daughters - Stuff like that is what keeps us going!! :-) Sorry you had such a bad day - glad you were not hurt worse when you fell or cut your finger. Hope you get to feeling better real soon.
Glenda

Unknown said...

Sorry you're not feeling well! At least the kids provided some laughter! Get better soon...

Nancy

Blondie's Journal said...

Well, that would have made my day brighter!!

xoxo
Jane

Stacey said...

Oh that is adorable!! You had me laughing. :) Thanks.

Glo said...

This is one of the reasons I miss my son so much. I could be having a bad day and he would do something to make me laugh!

I'm sure "the sun will come out tomorrow"!

Paula@SweetPea said...

I hope that you feel better today!

Tricia said...

Oh Kim.
I hope that today is a better day. I have those kinds of days about oh, once a month. Without fail. Guess why?! I always catches me off guard though, never fails. I hope that your finger and rump are okay.
XO*T
P.S. The kiddo dialogue. Priceless. Aren't those just the moments that you wish you had a tape recorder?! ;)

Queenie's Vintage Finds said...

Kids are so cute...always making a not so good of a day alot better, just by their being there. I will never forget the day that my youngest was about 3 or 4 years old and it was Father's Day, he was so excited, and couldn't hardly wait for his daddy to get hone from work. As soon as daddy walked in the door, he had his homemade card in hand, and shouted Happy Farter's Day! He'd had a little trouble with his speach and it didn't quite come out right. (Thank goodness some time with a speach therapist took care of the little speach problem he had), but we will never forget that day, when a little boy, couldn't quite get the Happy Father's Day right, but it was wonderful all the same! LOL! I hope you get to feeling better...I know how you feel sweetie, I have had a lingering cold last week and this week too, I thought it was getting better, and today I'm not so sure.
Talk to you again soon, hope you can get some rest...
Big Hugs,
Queenie

Sara's Sweet Surprise said...

"Out of the mouths of babes...lol."

I've just strolled in for my first visit...I've enjoyed taking a peek at your past posts. You've got so many wonderful treasures. Your blog is so beautifully inviting as well as entertaining!

As fall came to a close I looked forward to winter (that's fast approaching), bringing a festive inspiration for decorating and baking. If only I could get my Halloween and Thanksgiving boxes put away! Hopefully I'll get a tree decorated this weekend.
Don't you love the aroma that fills the air during this season?
My cat also appreciates the evergreens and an occasional ping pong toss of my ornaments...

I've bookmarked you in my favs.
I look forward to coming by your charming blog again.
Come by for a visit. Your company would be nice.

Sweet holiday wishes,
Sara

Tootsie said...

ha ha!!! I know how a meltdown feels...have had several the last few months...feel better friend....now, my hip is an old injury from when my youngest was born...she was an almost 10 pound monster at birth, and when she was 6 months old, I crossed my legs and gave her the "horsey ride" that popped my right hip out...and it has never been the same since. In and out often and always sore! I am fine, almost ready to post my big reveal of a huge project that has taken up all of my blogging time! Then...on to the Christmas decorating that I am officially a month behind!

Glo said...

Hi Kim,

Just wanted to thank you for stopping by my blog and leaving such a kind comment. I never thought my blog would introduce me to so many wonderful people! I started it for such different reasons and never imagined that I would actually meet friends, like you!

Anonymous said...

What a cute and heart-warming story! You're family is precious. Hearing you describe your meltdown had me cracking up. I have so been there before!

Melissa Miller said...

Oh my goodness Kim how funny and cute is your daughter!

I hope your days have been btter since then my friend.

Many Blessings, ~Melissa :)

Its So Very Cheri said...

I love hearing the conversations of my kids-what would we do without them?

My 4 yr old little boy was telling his 3 year old prissy pants little sister how Derek Jeeter and A Rod were AMAZING. Can you tell he listen to his big brother a lot. Her reply was so cute, it that WOWO YOU'RE AMAZING BIG BROTHER voice--"Really A-Rod is amazing".

Cheri from Its So Very Cheri